Message Display Tests

Always enjoyed taking Al on the boat. He was always a good time. Will miss his stories.

Shared by Randy Gulick

Always felt very welcomed in this man’s presence. I say that about the entire family as well. Have always enjoyed my time at the Side’s place. Rest in peace Al and heart felt condolences to all the family.

Shared by Ninette Laliberte

I have known Al for 48 years and enjoyed his company at work and at his home with Barb. I had the privilege of a visit with him on October 10th for 3 hours at the farm and at the horse track Casino for lunch. Our conversation come around to the time he took me out to see the farm when he first bought it. The only building on the property was the original house, a prefabbed catalogue order from a company in Toronto which the owner had built back in the 1930’s. He was 96 years old and living in a retirement home when he sold it to Al. Al and I went though the place which had many old magazines, National Geographic & Readers Digest, from the 30’s & 40’s, lying around. Al wanted to get on with building his new home on the property and burnt this old house down much to the concern of the RCMP and local fire department. His comment to me at our last lunch together was ” I shouldn’t have burned that place down. All that real old lumber I probably could have sold for a good buck”. We had a good laugh.
So many great memories.
My condolences to you Barb and to all your family. And thank you for the many times you had to put up with me for dinner. I live in Edmonton but still visit Grande Prairie and Al would have me over for dinner giving Barb little notice.

Shared by John Glass

“If you can fill the unforgiving moment, with sixty seconds worth of distance run…”  Kipling

This is so Al.

Every moment lived and none wasted on things that did not matter.

Shared by P. Flette

I first met Al shortly after I started to work at Northern Metalic. It was lunchtime, and the office was deserted; I was sitting by the window watching the traffic. Suddenly, I saw this “old farmer” come walking down the hall from Linda’s office. He saw me, smiled, sauntered over, and sat opposite me. We began talking about the weather and soon were chatting away, watching the world go by. He was there maybe 1/2 hour and got up and said he needed to go home to see “his bride” and hoped that I liked working here and we would chat another day. I only learned later that day who he was.

A few years later, he came into the office all spiffed up. I commented that he looked good; he put his thumbs under his suspenders and said, “I clean up pretty good,” smiling away. He was always so friendly no matter where or who you were.

My husband started working for Al on the farm about six years ago; he greatly respected him. Some days, he would come home and tell me about the drive he and “Ol AlleyCat” had and some of the stories (I wished I was a fly in the vehicle with them). I’m sure there may have been some scheming, but I am not sure who was the bad influence with them.

We would almost always run into him on the weekend when we went to feed the horses. He loved the colts and was so proud of them; he couldn’t wait to see if they would be a good runner. We had a lot of good talks across the fence from the ponies, and he truly had a way with them. The one time he and Charlie were trying to move a couple, and this one was a real pain; he didn’t get upset or anything, just “had a little talk” with her.

He always said when it was time to leave, he had to go see “his bride.” After 69 years, their love for each other was as strong and sweet as ever.

Our condolences go to Grandma and Al’s family and friends; there will be a great void wherever his footsteps travelled.

Shared by Tracey Keddy

I loved this man! Got to meet him, through my role as sports reporter for the Daily Herald-Tribune, when he was supporting chuckwagon racing in the early-1970s and last got to say hi in the summer at the races at Evergreen Park. I enjoyed the fact, right up until the last time I saw him, he always called me Moonbeams – the name of the sports column I wrote that ended in the 1980s. A little something he knew would bring a smile to both our faces. Huge loss for horse racing and the community!

Shared by Don Moon